Serving the greater Charlottesville community since 2007, VITA at Virginia Law, in cooperation with CASH at Madison House, assists taxpayers with Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) of $50,000 or less in preparing their federal and state income tax returns. We strive to ensure that taxpayers receive any refund to which they are entitled. Services are provided for free and in conjunction with the IRS's Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. All tax preparers have passed an IRS certification exam. For appointments, please visit the Appointments page.
For Virginia Law Students
Students assist taxpayers who meet VITA eligibility requirements in preparing their federal and state income tax returns and ensuring that taxpayers receive any refund to which the taxpayer is entitled. Students receive training on how to provide assistance and are encouraged to volunteer as often as their schedules allow. Time spent training and volunteering to prepare returns qualifies as pro bono hours toward the Pro Bono Challenge.
While most area VITA programs are run and staffed by professional non-profits or community credit unions, ours is entirely student-run. Furthermore, student volunteers have been responsible for administration and staffing of the VITA program, without dedicated law school staff or financial support. Law student volunteers gain an appreciation for public service by seeing the impact their work has on the community. The statistics are impressive; for Tax Year 2012, we estimate that we saved taxpayers over $130,000 in fees that they might have otherwise had to pay for tax preparation assistance.
To volunteer, please contact us.
Benefits of volunteering:
- Hours spent training and volunteering count as pro bono hours towards the Pro Bono Challenge
- Flexible time commitment: volunteer according to your schedule during the Spring semester
- No volunteering commitment during the Fall semester
- Assist qualifying taxpayers in completing their federal and state income tax returns
- Develop a deeper knowledge of the tax code
- Information about our Managing Board is available via the hyperlink provided.
- The Constitution and ByLaws of VITA at Virginia Law are available for viewing and downloading via the hyperlinks located at the bottom of this page.